Garage Door Repair in the Chicago Northwest Suburbs
The garage door is a vital part of the convenience and value of your household. Imagine for a moment that you have a broken garage door. How will you get into and out of your home? How will you get your vehicles and other belongings into and out of your garage? While you could open and close it manually, that is a lot of work, especially on a daily basis or when you’re in a hurry. A properly working garage door can save you a lot of hassle.
Your garage is a vital part of your home. It is too important and valuable to trust to just any garage door service provider. It is also too important to leave in any state besides perfect. A garage door that is noisy, off its tracks or responding slowly is a garage door that doesn’t work. Even though you may still be able to access your garage with these issues, there’s no reason to live with them when Garage Door Specialists is just around the corner with fast, quality garage door repair to the Chicago northwest suburbs.
Garage Door Repair for Chicago’s Northwest Suburbs
At Garage Door Specialists, we provide award-winning residential garage door service to the areas of Northbrook, Highland Park, Glenview and Buffalo Grove. We are proud to have served garage door repair to this area for more than 30 years and to have won the Angie’s List Super Service Award each year since 2017.
Most homeowners use the garage door more often than the front door or as the main entrance, and you may use yours more than you think. More and more people also use their garage for storage and find that aspect essential to buying a house. In fact, the garage door can add enough value to your house that 87.5% of the costs can be recouped on resale.
Your garage door can be just as much a part of your home as the front door or the lawn, and you can’t underestimate its importance. It may be easy to take your garage door for granted — until it stops working, of course. A malfunctioning door can put a real wrench in your routine. If you can’t get in and out easily, you start your day frustrated. Then you come home from work to deal with it again and to see an integral part of your home in disrepair. It’s no wonder this can put you in a bad mood.
With Garage Door Specialists, you can be confident that you have a safety net in place when you need your garage door repaired. We focus on fast, dependable service so you won’t be frustrated for long. Our technicians come prepared and can provide you with the options you need to reach the ideal solution.
Even the best, most expensive garage doors can run into technical problems and require maintenance or repairs. Exposure to the elements and normal wear and tear can lead to issues as well.
5 Signs You Need Garage Door Repair Service
Seventy-two percent of homes in the Midwest have a garage. Make sure yours is one of the best by keeping it running smoothly. We offer garage door service to any make and model, so you can once again enjoy this crucial feature of your home.
Some signs you need garage door repair are obvious, but others you might think are just annoying aspects of the product — they’re not. Let’s take a look at a few of the problems you might have with your door and how we can fix them.
1. Your Garage Door Won’t Open or Close
If your garage door won’t open or close, you’re losing out on one of the biggest advantages of having a garage in the first place. Or it at least makes your day a lot more frustrating. Here are a few possibilities as to why your garage door won’t open.
- Broken opener: A broken garage door transmitter is an easy way to lose functionality. The door uses two transmitters, one on the wall and one in a remote. You can see if this is the problem by pressing the button on the wall unit. If the door opens normally, you probably need to change the batteries in the remote. If it doesn’t open at all when you press the button on the wall unit, there may be a different problem.
- Cables or springs are broken: Cables can wear out and snap or stop working. The springs in your door can be the cause of many issues and they come in two types: extension and torsion. Either of these can be dangerous for you to work with, because they are under extreme amounts of pressure to counter the heavy weight of the whole door. If you’re home when a spring breaks, you’ll hear it. This loud metal snap will easily stop your door from working. One way to tell if a spring is worn out or broken is to disengage the garage door opener and manually open the door halfway. If it shoots up or slams down, you probably have a broken spring. Do not attempt to fix or replace a spring yourself, as the extremely high tension can be dangerous. Leave it to a professional.
- Misaligned track: Your door could stop moving completely if it becomes misaligned. If this happens, do not try to fix it yourself as it could quickly become dangerous with the massive weights involved.
2. Your Garage Door Sounds Noisy
A loud garage door can be upsetting to both you and your neighbors, not to mention your family members who have to deal with it all day and night. There can be a variety of culprits for noisy garage door parts, each of which offers different information about what is wrong with your garage door.
- Unbalanced doors are a common reason for excessive noise. They can be the cause of several sounds, like banging, squeaking and scraping. Loose hardware, like nuts, bolts, rollers or hinges can also lead to rattling or scraping noises. Another common problem is poor lubrication, which could lead to rattling, squeaking and grinding. A slapping sound is usually from a loose chain.
- Broken or worn springs can also get noisy. Again, do not attempt repairs to the spring system in your door. Call our technicians. They can replace a spring that is broken or worn out, which may be necessary after extended use.
Tightening hardware and lubricating parts can fix some of the problems with your door, but others may require an expert.
3. Your Garage Door Has Come Off Its Tracks
The rollers on your door are what slide it along the track. A garage door off its tracks will have trouble going anywhere. A common way to knock the door off track is by hitting the track or the door with your car. Rushing to work in the morning or just forgetting to open the door before backing up can lead to these kinds of collisions.
If your door becomes misaligned, stop using it. You could further damage the tracks or the door. You can usually tell if your door is off its tracks by visual cues:
- Loose tracks: You may have loose tracks, where the rails have come off the walls. Loose tracks can misalign the whole structure. Track alignment can also be an issue if they aren’t parallel to the ground and with each other.
- Dented tracks: A dented track can cause the rollers to pop out of the track and come off. Sometimes this can be reshaped.
- Dust and grime: Dirt can build up in the tracks, causing the rollers to slow. Keeping the tracks and rollers clean and properly lubricated can help avoid this and maintain your door system.
4. Your Garage Door Is Out of Balance
A balanced garage door has a spring system that evenly manages its weight. An unbalanced door may have one spring that puts more tension on the door than the other. It can lead to door failure or snapped cables and springs.
You might be able to tell if your door is unbalanced through a few different ways. Visually, it may appear clearly uneven, slanted or crooked. It may sound bad, too. A door fighting its spring system can make a lot of noise. It could also be very slow-moving.
To tell if your door is out of balance, test the springs. Disconnect the door from your opener and run the door up and down the tracks manually. Make sure it moves smoothly. If you let go of the door in the middle, take note of whether it stays where it’s at, falls down or moves up. If the door slams down or jumps back up to the top, you’ll need to have it balanced by a technician.
If not addressed quickly, an out-of-balance door can bring the whole system to a halt.
5. Your Garage Door Has a Slow Response Time
The speed of a residential garage door can vary but typically should fully open in under 15 seconds. If your door moves slower than usual, this is another problem that could be due to worn springs.
- Speed settings: Your garage door opener might have speed settings directly on it. Its default speed could be slow or someone may have adjusted it without telling you. Adjust these or check your manual to find out what the default is. Slower settings may be necessary in a house with small children or animals to allow the sensors enough time to act quickly and stop movement if necessary.
- Lubrication: Another frequent cause of slow doors is poor lubrication. The roller brackets and hinges may just need some WD-40 to get them running smoothly again.
- Old parts: Garage doors will typically last for decades, but parts can still wear out, especially if not maintained well. Your motor might be dealing with plain old wear and tear. Springs can again be an issue, if they are getting old. They may need tightening or replacement.
Residential Garage Door Service Experts
If you’re dealing with any of the issues outlined above, Garage Door Specialists can help. With three decades of quality service behind us, our technicians can diagnose and fix your garage door.
We specialize in residential garages and are locally owned and operated, meaning the help you need is never very far. Serving the North and Northwest Chicago Suburbs, we are there when you need us to get your garage door up and running again.
Many of us have had the upsetting experience of coming home to find that we’ve left the garage door open all day. By leaving the door open, your belongings and vehicles were in plain view and out in the open, and much more susceptible to theft.
What if your door gets stuck and you have to deal with this for a longer period of time? Garage Door Specialists can make sure that this is addressed quickly and efficiently, so your home stays safe and secure. In addition to making sure that your garage door is up to par, we offer repair and emergency service seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
Garage doors accounted for almost 19,000 injuries in 2018. They can be very dangerous to try and fix yourself. Our highly trained professionals can fix issues safely and keep you out of harm’s way.
Garage Door Specialists is fully committed to 100% customer satisfaction. We strive to ensure that all of your needs are met before leaving your driveway. Take a look at what some of our customers have to say about the service they’ve received from Garage Door Specialists.
We’ve even earned ourselves the Angie’s List Super Service Award, which is given to about 5 percent of all companies on the website. Angie’s List is one of the leading providers of consumer reviews for local service companies, which are graded A through F in various work aspects like professionalism and punctuality.
While our repair service is second to none, we also offer top-of-the-line sales experience. As an authorized Clopay® dealer, we can offer the best garage doors on the market with knowledgeable and customer-focused team members.
Speaking of the crew, our team members here at Garage Door Specialists are highly experienced and have a wealth of information on garage doors. There is little they haven’t seen throughout the years. Whether your garage door is just making a funny sound or has stopped working, one of our team members can quickly diagnose the issue, make recommendations on how best to proceed and execute the course of action you select.
Contact Us Today for Garage Door Service
Remember, your garage is a significant part of your home. It can be an entryway, a storage space, a workshop or even a home office. People use their garages for a multitude of purposes. They also use it for the important task of keeping their cars and other expensive items safe.
The garage deserves to be fully functioning and treated with first-class service, which includes the all-important door that can automate your routine. If it doesn’t open, makes strange or loud noises, has fallen off its tracks or is out of balance or slow, it may be in need of repair. Whatever the issue with your door is, Garage Door Specialists can help. Contact us now to get more information on garage door service to your home.