The Pros and Cons of Garage Doors With Windows
A garage door installation should be attractive and secure. Choosing designs with window accents can spruce up the exterior of your home. Before you purchase a new garage door, you might consider the advantages and disadvantages of window openings.
Why Choose a Garage Door With Windows?
Adding a garage door with windows is a quick way to separate your residential space from the rest. You can choose from a variety of options to complement your exterior siding, shutters and front entry doors. Common reasons to incorporate windows on your next garage door include:
- Curb appeal: Garage door windows contribute to the aesthetic of your installation. Decorative windows can help to split up panels in an exciting way. Anyone walking by your home will notice the subtle trims and glass details across your garage door system.
- Natural lighting: Garage door windows allow sunlight to enter, which is great for individuals spending hours in the garage each day. Whether you complete repairs on vehicles or use the garage as a creative zone, you can create warm lighting conditions.
- Customization options: Homeowners have the freedom to choose window openings that correspond with the rest of a house. Take inspiration from residential window installations when drawing up designs. Selecting the right window patterns for your property can increase resale value, as your garage door system ties the exterior features of your home together.
The Cons of Garage Doors With Windows
If you’re on the fence about a garage door with windows, here are a few more considerations:
- Less privacy: Windows in any space can result in less privacy. Most installations are positioned near the top of a garage door, though. People walking outside your home will have a difficult time peering through the overhead glass. You can also choose frosted or tinted window glass to counteract this potential issue.
- Breakability: Garage door window glass is delicate. However, most decorative pieces on overhead doors are removable and can be replaced in case of an accident.
Purchase a Garage Door That Is Right for You
Garage Door Specialists works with homeowners in Chicago’s northern and northwestern suburbs. We sell and install residential garage doors from Clopay® to exceed your expectations for durability. If you want to see our available styles firsthand, you can stop by our showroom in Wheeling, Illinois, to get a closer look at colors and textures.