How Long Do Garage Doors Last?
Garage doors are essential components of your home. They can increase your property’s value, provide security to your family and offer convenient parking or storage space. With so many benefits, it’s critical to give your door the care it needs for reliable service down the road.
Depending on the type and usage, new garage doors can last for several decades with the proper maintenance and service.
Average Garage Door Lifespans
Garage doors last an average of 15 to 30 years. The climate plays a significant role in your door’s life expectancy, as extreme heat and cold temperatures result in additional wear and tear. Other primary factors affecting a garage door’s lifespan include:
- Maintenance and care: You should have a qualified professional perform routine maintenance on your garage door at least once a year. These programs include thoroughly inspecting all essential components, tightening hinges, adjusting springs, lubricating the necessary parts and testing the controls to prevent serious issues.
- Product quality: A high-quality garage door usually means a longer lifespan. Garage Door Specialists offers some of the longest-lasting and highest-performing doors from Clopay® to provide many years of dependability and service.
- Quality of installation: The quality of your installation is another critical factor in the performance of your door. At Garage Door Specialists, we have over 30 years of service and installation experience around Chicago’s north and northwest suburbs. We know what it takes to install your new garage door the right way.
When to Replace Your Old Garage Door
How often you use your door is a primary factor in determining whether your door needs replacement. Many residential garage doors perform more than 3,000 cycles yearly, and potentially more with kids and pets in the picture. Even the most well-maintained doors with the highest-quality materials will eventually need replacement.
Warning signs a garage door may need replacing include:
- Damage caused by wear and tear.
- Making frequent repairs outside of the recommended service range.
- Vibration and excessive noise during regular operation.
- Visible damage to panels, tracks, rollers or springs.
- Lack of curb appeal.
While repairs and parts replacement can get a door back in functioning order, quick fixes only last a short time, especially if your door’s primary components are older. That’s why it’s critical to have an experienced technician from Garage Door Specialists help you determine your best course of action.
Contact the Experts at Garage Door Specialists Today
If you reside in Chicago’s north or northwest suburbs and you’re wondering if your garage door needs replacement, Garage Door Specialists can help. Our superior repair and maintenance services include a complete safety inspection to keep your family free from harm, and we’re the premier source of new garage doors in the area. Contact us online today or visit our showroom in Wheeling to learn more!