Choosing the Perfect Garage Door Design for Your Home
With so many different types of garage doors available, do you know how to choose a garage door that’s right for your home? There are a number of factors to consider when shopping for garage doors, such as the material, color, style and other features. If you’re not sure where to start, let this be your guide. We’ll cover everything you need to know about choosing garage doors so you can make the right decision for your home.
How to Choose a Garage Door Material
One of the most important factors in choosing the right garage door for your home is the material it’s constructed from. There are a variety of materials to choose from, and each has its own pros and cons, depending on the climate, the look of your home and your personal preferences. Here are the three most common garage door materials:
- Wood: A traditional classic, wooden garage doors offer a sophisticated look or a rustic appearance, depending on the finish and style. Either way, they make for gorgeous garage doors that are also resilient and dent-resistant. Wood is also an easy material to work with on custom garage doors, as it can be easily cut to fit any size.
- Steel: Garage doors made from steel are very strong and provide superior insulation capabilities. Steel doors are built to last and usually don’t require as much maintenance as wooden doors. They are perfect for homes with a more modern, sleek style and are easily customizable to match your home’s colors and look.
- Faux wood: This garage door option combines some of the best elements from both wood and steel. Faux wood garage doors usually have a steel base with faux wood overlays. This composite mimics the colors and textures of high-end woods like mahogany and cypress so you can have an upscale look for a lower cost. Faux wood doors also have great insulation capabilities.
Selecting a Garage Door Style
There are many different garage door styles to choose from. You’ll want to pick a style that fits in with the architecture of your home and speaks to your personal style preferences, too. Consider these garage door styles for your home:
- Traditional raised panel: For a classic, clean look, traditional raised panel style garage doors are a perfect choice. Traditional raised panel doors are probably what first comes to mind when picturing a classic garage door style. These doors have a series of raised, rectangular panels and are usually symmetrical. They can be insulated and may be constructed from a variety of materials.
- Carriage house: Also known as barn-style garage doors, carriage house doors add lots of rustic charm to the appearance of your home and garage. This choice works best with certain architectural styles, such as mission or craftsman homes. Carriage house style garage doors utilize decorative panels and often include windows. Some carriage house doors swing out for classic operation, while others have decorative handles and a modern door opener.
- Contemporary: For modern-looking homes, contemporary garage door styles are usually the best choice. Contemporary garage doors may be made from steel or wood, and the styles are clean and functional without excess decorative elements. These doors are perfect for modern and mid-century architectural styles.
Garage Door Window Styles
Another style consideration is whether your garage door should have windows. Garage door styles with windows add a lovely architectural touch and look great with many different styles of doors and homes. Windows can make a garage door look more like a cohesive part of the home, adding coziness, curb appeal and class while letting in some extra light into the garage area.
On the other hand, garage door styles without windows may be more appealing if theft or break-ins are a concern. Windows let would-be thieves see all of your belongings inside the garage, and windows make for an easier entry point. If you really like the look of windows on a garage door but have some concerns, you can have custom frosted glass windows installed or install a security system.
Choosing a Garage Door Color
White is by far the most common color for garage doors, but that doesn’t mean you have to settle on that shade. A wide variety of color options are available for you to choose from. Note that when you’re purchasing a new garage door, your color options may be limited by your choice of garage door material. Have a general idea of what color you’d like when shopping, and be willing to compromise on either color or material.
There are a few different ways to decide on a garage door color. You should consider whether you want your garage door to be a focal point on the home or blend in, as each has its own advantages.
Many people choose from garage door options and colors that match their front door. While this can work for some homes, design experts caution against this, especially if you have a statement color on your front door. They instead suggest matching the garage door to the main color of the home — which can make the home appear larger — or to the color of the home’s trim, which will give a more classic look.
If you’re unsure what colors to choose, search for garage door design ideas online to see how different colors look with similar styles and color schemes to your home. This search should help you narrow down your choices.
Other Tips for Choosing a Garage Door Design
If you want to know how to select a garage door, there are just a few more things to consider. Take into account your home’s overall architectural style and color palette, but think about these aspects, as well:
- Your location: Different areas of the country have different styles and color palettes that are more popular and fitting with the natural surroundings. In the Chicago area, modern and classic designs alike are popular. Your location can also determine the amount of insulation you want for your garage door. As a homeowner near Chicago, you’d want a door with a higher R-value to protect your garage and belongings from cooler weather.
- Landscaping: The trees, shrubbery and flowers you have in your yard may have different colors that are all a part of your home’s overall color scheme. Take this into account, as well the lighting near your garage door — is it in full sun or shade? This lighting can affect the way colors look. Consider getting a color sample, if possible, to see how your desired shade would look in your garage door’s position.
- Neighborhood associations: Homeowners’ associations in your area may have restrictions on specific colors and styles allowed. Even if you don’t have an HOA, consider your neighbors’ styles and whether you want your house to stand out or blend in.
Find the Perfect Garage Door Style From Garage Door Specialists
When you’re searching for the right garage door, you want one to complement your home’s exterior design and color palette and show your personal style preferences, all with the quality craftsmanship you expect. Garage Door Specialists can help you with all of this and more. We are proud to be your go-to experts for garage doors in the northern suburbs of Chicago.